Thursday, March 4, 2010

Doctor's Visit

So in the last 24 hours, it has been quite ridiculous how my thoughts about my dizziness have escalated from "This is weird" to "This may be my last meal.." and "I might die in my sleep tonight"....My paranoia is really a sad and serious problem! I am SO not allowing myself to look at WebMD ever again.

I made an appointment to see a doctor today, even though I was hesitant to spend the money ($25 is a lot of money to me, sad I know) but let me tell you, it was worth it for the peace of mind.

After I told the doctor my symptoms, he asked me if I had read anything on the internet about what it might be. I said yes, and he asked me what I read...and I said "Well...internal bleeding of the brain?" And he laughed and said "You're not that lucky!" He said he's seen thousands of patients that have dizziness, which is caused by a virus in the inner or middle ear (way to go, Kacy!) and it will just run its course. He said he's only seen 3 patients that have had brain stem problems and their symptoms are a lot worse than the ones I've been having. So anyway, I might continue to be dizzy for up to another couple weeks, and I just have to wait it out.

The doctor must have not had any other patients today, because he ended up giving me his medical advice on any other medical topic you could think of. We talked about:

1. When to start screening for colon cancer
2. The importance of breast self-exams
3. What constitutes a heavy menstrual cycle
4. How to tell whether a mole is benign, dysplastic, or melanoma
5. The color of the whites of my eyes
6. Changes in bowel movements
7. When to regularly see a gynocologist
8. Signs of anemia

I'd say we pretty much covered all the bases. I feel very close to him now.

1 comment:

  1. Next time you can just give the 25 dollars to me and I'll diagnose you. :-)

    ReplyDelete