Friday, May 21, 2010

free time!!

First off, I'd like to thank Mr. Hans for guest blogging. I appreciate him taking the time out to post. I think it really boosted the ratings. It's true, I've been thinking about not blogging anymore, because I feel like I never have anything really interesting to say. But, here I am doing it because I have nothing else to do.

School is over, at least for the next few weeks before I start summer school June 9. It is sooo nice to not have to worry about what all I have to get done. This entire semester I've had that one class (you know, the one I waited until the last minute to finish most of the assignments) looming over my head like a dark cloud (impressive simile, i know). I kept getting further and further behind, and I just was constantly stressed about it. I seriously considered dropping the class, but when I found out that would be $700 down the drain, I decided that Rog and Lyna wouldn't be too happy if I did that. Turns out I made an A in the class. Whew. Seriously, the low standard of A&M Commerce is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

So, with no school, I feel like I have tons of free time now. It's been good... I've been reading this book that you have to read, it's called A Hole in our Gospel by Richard Stearns. It's about how living out the whole gospel means more than going to church, staying away from the worst sins, and having a private relationship with God. It's really challenging, and he talks about how Jesus talks SO much throughout the Bible about giving to the poor, feeding the hungry, and caring for those in need. It just seems to be too uncomfortable for Christians to have to do that, so we try not to think about it and go about our business and stay in our little bubbles of friends and family. We tell ourselves that there's nothing wrong with that. But God expects a lot more. Basically, if our faith is not seen in the ways that we are tangibly giving to, loving, and caring for people, then it is meaningless. It's super convicting to me, and has really made me think a lot about how I cling to comfort and ease in life. And when I don't have it in my life, I freak out and get all sad. (i.e. this year has been a hard transition and I get sad because I don't have friends to hang out with all the time) There are so many things that can become more important to us than being completely obedient to God...having nice clothes and nice things, having money, being skinny, being busy, friendships and relationships...all of the above for me. I can't tell you how many times I have literally thought, "If I could just buy all new clothes, I would feel so much better about myself" (Ridiculous). Or "If I lost 20 pounds, I would be happy!"... (Totally pathetic). We have to give up everything that we are holding on to so that we can really be open to God's will and fully love and obey Him.

Anyway, you have to read the book, sorry I was on a roll and almost rewrote the whole thing for you to read right here...woopsy...

So yeah, I am enjoying the free time and trying to not totally waste it...this can easily be done by watching countless episodes of Family Feud, The Bonnie Hunt Show, etc...beware of afternoon television.

Speaking of television, I'm going to have even more free time when LOST is over. I'm too excited about the finale. It's going to be so good! Even better, I get to watch it with Rachel Foster and Carol Hogan.

I'm bad at conclusions, so...BYE!







1 comment:

  1. I'm starting my librarian science course through A&M Commerce on June 7th. SImultaneously I'm taking Curriculum & Instruction courses through UTA starting Monday. I hope both have incredibly low standards.

    ReplyDelete