Thursday, September 24, 2009

Beware of blood-borne pathogens...

A beautiful thing happened this morning. For the first time in months, I actually had something to wake up and go to in the morning! It was the orientation for substitute teachers in Allen. It wasn't anything to be excited about--sexual harassment videos, payroll information, etc...but I could barely sleep last night! It felt like the anticipation of the first day of school (which I've always enjoyed, probably too much). By the way, the first thing we watched when we got there was a video about blood-borne pathogens, which showed a bunch of kids with ungodly wounds all over their faces or all down their arms...and then the video warned us about being in contact with their blood and how we could get HIV from it. Don't worry, I have no plans to touch any children's lesions anytime soon.

Anyway, I'll start subbing hopefully next week, just for elementary schools. I don't have the strength to substitute for middle or high school. The high schoolers would probably bully me and stuff me in a locker. Yes, I am that weak.

In other news, official training for the half marathon has begun. We are 2 days in. Josh and I ran 3 miles on Tuesday and it just about killed me. Then we ran intervals last night where you are supposed to run fast for a lap around the track, then rest, then another lap, etc...so I ran "fast" for about 20 feet and I was TOTALLY winded. Like, couldn't catch my breath. So my fast lap ended up not being too terribly fast. It's good that these intervals are a part of training, though, because I think they'll really push me to improve my speed, which I desperately need to do. To give you an idea of just how slow I run, I was watching the new season of Biggest Loser the other day, and the very first challenge for these 300-475 pound people was to run one mile. The winner's time was the same as my time when I run a mile! Recap: 350 pound man. First episode. 1 mile. Same as my time. Lovely.

In related news, I am drinking Dr. Peppers again. I had not had a sip of any soda for a little over 3 months. But within the last couple weeks, I decided I was ready to inch back into drinking sodas every now and then. I had a can of Coca-Cola, and decided, Ya know what!? That's not even worth it! I think I've broken my addiction to sodas, they're not even that good!................but then............I had a Dr. Pepper. And I swear, there is something illegal in Dr. Peppers...they are, I'd venture to say, life-changing? Anyway, my attempt to "inch back into drinking sodas" hasn't so much worked out. I might need to chill out on the Dr. Peppers again. But not yet. I KNOW Kacy and Kristy feel me on this one.

P.S. I haven't watched any afternoon tv last week or this week! And I don't have the feeling that I'm missing out on anything, which I think is a huge step for me.




2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a renewed mind. And that's the key, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and p.s. You would be surprised how many wounds children have. I currently suspect one of mine has ringworm on his face. He's one of my special friends and enjoys the hugs. He's about as tall as I am and it's a challenge to keep his face from making contact with mine (5th graders are awkward huggers. And so am I. So the two together is quite a treat.) In summary: I'd like to warn Josh that you will soon by in hyper-hypochondriac mode.

    ReplyDelete